Monday, January 30, 2012

three years

January 30, 2009

      The phone rang. My mom answered and talked for a moment,
      Then rushed the phone to my dad.
      My sister and I knew something was wrong-
      We thought maybe Grandma or Grandpa had died.

      Sadly, we were wrong.

      Mom and Dad came back and told us the news of our two cousins
      (ages 18 and 21) who had just been
      killed in a car accident on the icy roads in the mountains
      near Jasper, Alberta.
      Shock.

      This can't be real.

      Stuff like this only happens to other people.
      I was confused and sat in a chair with a blanket wrapped around me
      for the rest of the evening.
      Wishing I could just cry.
      But I couldn't. I was too sad or something.
     
      The funeral came and went.
      The winter turned into spring
      & the seasons kept right on in their cycle.

      But never will the wound heal.
      It is not possible to just heal after just saying good-bye so tragically.

      The scar remains to remind of love lost.

written in memory of Tannis & Heidi

10 comments:

  1. so sad! i like the way you put this into words. my neighbor that was like a grandpa to me passed away unexpectedly a couple days ago and i can relate to the 'shock'. reminded me of how fragile life is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw sorry about your neighbor, Gord..yes it's so amazing how soon Life can be snuffed out and gone- I need to remember that every day. & thank you for the compliment

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey i can relate...two months ago,it was the night of my birthday and we were at home playing games...suddenly the phone rang. my 20 year old cousin was in a wreck, but they didnt know how bad it was. A couple minutes later, my thirteen year old cousin called and was crying, then she said that chet's chances were really slim. We went up to the hospital...I can still remember standing in the ICU, watching his heart rate slow, hearing the alarms going off, and then the doctor pronouncing him dead. It was just like one of those bad dreams that you never wake up from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is just sad.. I heard a little bit about that when it happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ya...tannis and heidi were just down here a couple weeks before the accident. i wasnt with them but my sister was and she really liked them. i was just w/ a girl that was one of their cousins, lacey toews. is she related to you to?

      Delete
    2. Yes Lacey is my very nice cousin :) That's neat you were with her in Haiti..

      Delete
  5. ya lacey is awesome... was also w/ cody and kent...they informed me that ur their cousin also. had fun w/ those guys 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes- conections all over! That is unique indeed.

      Delete
  6. thanx jesse.... nice blog :) and thats so sad. i knew them shortly before there accident ( like my sis said :) ) thanx for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete