Sunday, November 4, 2012

scar of childhood


     The day I split my chin open and scarred it forever will be stuck in my memory for a long time. I remember feeling humiliated and wondering why I misjudged my landing.
     It was a hot summer day in July. My sister and I were enjoying the sunshine and playing outdoors. We had filled up our plastic purple pool and placed it on the sidewalk. With our bathing suits on, we splashed about in the refreshing water. Each taking turns running and launching our little bodies through the air and landing with a crash in the pool. Everything was great and we were having a part until I made that mistake. My eight-year-old mind thot it would be great fun to try a belly-flop. I ran towards the pool, jumped, and misjudged my landing. The lower half of my body landed sort of in the water, but my head crashed into the concrete. I screamed, then ran inside while my sister looked on in disbelief. My chin was pouring blood. My mother's eyes got wide when she saw me, but soon she had pity on me. She got a cozy towel and wrapped it around my wet, shaking body. Then a wash cloth appeared and was held to my chin by loving hands. The bleeding eventually subsided and my parents decided I wouldn't need stitches, much to my relief. A band-aid was applied and I carried on with Life.
     Eight days later, I was riding my little, blue bike. I went over a bump too fast! The bike fell over and I lost my balance as well. The metal handle-bar gouged into my chin in the exact spot of my previous injury. I yelled! The blood flowed once again.
     These two tragic experiences will stay etched in my brain for many years. How could they vanish? Every time I shave or look in a mirror and see the scar the memories come back to me. I smile and remember all the adventures of childhood.

2 comments:

  1. so good to see you back... now I'm wishing I could scrutinize your chin :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like something I could be vaguely haunted by... Does it bother you that now,if and when we meet I may feel partially obligated to look at your chin? :D

    ReplyDelete